From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Enable FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" by default?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 17:11:25
1 On 29 May 2012 12:27, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On 05/29/2012 05:23 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
7 >> wrote:
8 >>> I am against too many defaults. It's documented and people can
9 >>> activate it. I'm already annoyed by pre-set stuff like "cups" in
10 >>> releases/make.defaults.
11 >>
12 >> While universal agreement is a bit much to hope for, I just wanted
13 >> to point out that fewer defaults is really just an illusion.
14 >>
15 >> There is ALWAYS a default, anytime you have an option.  The
16 >> default might be one thing, or it might be another, but there is
17 >> ALWAYS a default.  My thinking is that our defaults should
18 >> generally reflect the most mainstream or least-surprising behavior,
19 >> especially where there are upstream projects.  in the case of
20 >> portage, we are the upstream, so we should do whatever is most
21 >> useful and least obnoxious to our users.
22 >>
23 >> If you're running something other than a generic desktop/server,
24 >> there will always be a need to tweak things.
25 >>
26 >> Rich
29 > Well then let my clarify: I'm against too many pre-set (meaning
30 > "activated") features/useflags.
31 >
32 > That's probably a seperate discussion, but I myself would expect the
33 > _default_ profile/config to have almost nothing activated. No
34 > useflags, no features etc.
35 >
36 > That may imply that this default is "broken", but it takes more time
37 > to do reverse-configuration while looking for things that someone
38 > considered "sane" and has set for your "convenience".
39 >
40 > I discovered this the first time I set up a blank chroot and got a
41 > load of stuff pulled in by some trivial emerges. Some set by already
42 > mentioned releases/make.defaults and similar, some set by ebuilds etc.
43 >
44 > What you do with other profiles is a completely different topic,
45 > because I'm not forced to use them.
46 >
47 > means: I don't like the fact that I have to set
48 > FEATURES="-foobar"
49 > or
50 > USE="-foobar"
51 >
52 > That should almost never be the case (unless I set some globally and
53 > unset some locally or use desktop-profiles etc).
54 >
55 > am I offtopic already? Hope you got the point though.
70 I disagree with this. I think Gentoo should be about SANE defaults. If
71 you want a minimal system, you can turn off all the USE flags and/or
72 FEATURES and/or use the standard (not desktop/) profile. SANE defaults
73 like FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" are optimal for probably 90% of
74 users and if you're not one of those 90%, there'll be a news item,
75 just turn them off...