From: David Shakaryan <omp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Massive package.mask cleanup
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:20:41
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:00:56 -0700
3 > David Shakaryan <omp@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> It seems like you didn't understand exactly what I did. The masks I
6 >> removed are *ONLY* those which are masking a package or version that is
7 >> no longer in the tree.
8 >
9 > And what if that was a preventive mask? The assumption of not-in-tree => can-be-removed-from-p.mask isn't valid in all cases. Also there isn't any particular need to "cleanup" package.mask so there is no reason for this to be done without prior notice.
10 >
11 > Marius
12
13 Hypothetically speaking, if version 1.4 of a package is in package.mask
14 and we are now at version 1.6, with 1.4 removed from the tree, is there
15 really a reason why the mask for 1.4 should stay? I don't see why we'll
16 re-add an older version later, and if we do, it's not too hard to mask
17 it again if the problem which caused it to be masked still prevails.
18
19 Feel free to undo any of my changes for which there is a clear reason to
20 let the mask stay.
23 David Shakaryan
24 GnuPG Public Key: 0x4B8FE14B