From: Jonathan Kelly <j0n@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AMD/AGP issues
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:06:08
1 On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:45:12 -0700
2 Greg Frank <frank@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi. I remember when the AMD/AGP issues with Linux were first being
5 > reported, you guys had some of the most comprehensive info on your site.
6 >
7 > Lately, I haven't seen very much info about it... although I have seen
8 > several people commenting online recently that they have been using
9 > Linux on recently built AMD systems with no problems. Since I am
10 > considering putting together an AMD system pretty soon, I am curious
11 > about how the situation stands at this point. Can you please tell me if
12 >
13 > there is a new kernel version that addresses the problem? Also, if not,
14 >
15 > does it help at all if you compile the kernel specifically on an AMD
16 > processor? (I'm guessing not, but it's nice to hope).
19 I'm running a dual Athlon with ATI Fire GL 8800 and absolutely no
20 problems. There *is* an issue, but it is handled by passing
21 "mem=nopentium" to the kernel (although I don't because the drivers from
22 ATI automatically handle that).
23
24 Cheers.
25 Jonathan Kelly.