From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel source for gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:05:42
1 On Sun, 13 May 2001 16:08:07 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger)
2 wrote:
3
4 > Collins Richey wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I'm trying to understand where you hide the kernel source on gentoo and
7 > > where the options used to generate the standard gentoo kernel are
8 > located.
11 > > The kernel you supply, for example, has no sound modules compiled, and
12 > I would like to recompile for sound support (esssolo1.o and soundcore.o
13 > are needed) without breaking anything else.
14 >
15 > (The default kernel contains all alsa sound modules)
18 fyi, this doesn't do much good unless you have a sound card that works with
19 als.
22 > Current kernel source poackage is broken, eigher use
23 > linux-source-2.4.4-rx.ebuild or
24 > use a default kernel and run a manual config inbetween.
25 >
26 > cd /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux
27 > ebuild linux-2.4.4.5.ebuild unpack
28 > cd /tmp/portage/linux-2.4.4.5/work/linux
29 > make menuconfig
30 > cd /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux
31 > ebuild linux-2.4.4.5.ebuild merge
35 As I alluded to earlier, it isn't a really good idea to overwrite the
36 working kernel. Fortunately I saved the old kernel and modules. The only
37 change I made was to add the esssolo1 module, but the new kernel came up
38 with modules problems and no working eth0.
39
40 I think I'll try standard kernel build procedures from the
41 /tmp/portage/linux-2.4.4.5/work/linux directory with all your patches
42 applied.
43
44 > > Also what is necessary to get ide-cdrw support. I notice that /dev/sr0
45 > ...
46 > > have not been generated.
49 Any answer for this question?
50