From: Clay Mitchell <claymitchell@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Kernel problem
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 12:15:11
1 Nevermind, I did a mrproper and re-config'd everything and now I'm
2 booting happily
3
4 -----Original Message-----
5 From: gentoo-dev-admin@××××××××××.org
6 [mailto:gentoo-dev-admin@××××××××××.org] On Behalf Of Clay Mitchell
7 Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 1:57 PM
8 To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
9 Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Kernel problem
12 My /boot directory is /dev/hda1 - it contains both the bzImage and the
13 menu.lst. The root system is at /dev/hda2
14
15 The Grub menu comes up, and I can select a kernel to boot off of, no
16 problem.
17
18 My grub is set up with "root (hd0,0)" and "setup (hd0)")
19
20 My menu.lst specifies root as (hd0,0) and
21
22 Kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda2
23
24 Am I missing something?
25
26 -----Original Message-----
27 From: gentoo-dev-admin@××××××××××.org
28 [mailto:gentoo-dev-admin@××××××××××.org] On Behalf Of Gontran
29 Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 1:47 PM
30 To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
31 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel problem
34 * Clay Mitchell (claymitchell@××××××××.com) wrote:
35 > I'm getting this problem every time I boot up:
36 >
37 > Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs
40 This is usually the result of specifying incorrect filesystem parameters
41 to the boot loader. Are you keeping in mind the array-like numbering
42 scheme (012345...) for disk partitions when configuring grub? Are you
43 remembering to turn that logic off and name your root partition as the
44 OS
45 understands it for the kernel parameter 'root='?
46
47 > Any idea what's causing this? I'm guessing it's a kernel problem - I
48 > copied the one off the rc6-10 build cd and I can boot. But I haven't
49 > been able to track down what is causing this problem.
50 >
51 > Any ideas?
54 hth,
55 Gontran