From: Sebastian Werner <sebastian@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: AW: [gentoo-dev] USE database?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 01:39:40
1 Hey,
2
3 I like your idea. I have the same problems with the many variables I
4 could set. Some other idea I think could be good is to store the data
5 with gconf or something else (a binary registry - like windows but
6 better).
7
8 Sebastian Werner
9
10 -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
11 Von: gentoo-dev-admin@g.o [mailto:gentoo-dev-admin@g.o] Im
12 Auftrag von Zach Forrest
13 Gesendet: Montag, 3. Dezember 2001 02:07
14 An: gentoo-dev@g.o
15 Betreff: [gentoo-dev] USE database?
16
17 Hi. I've just signed up to the mailing list and wanted to put in my 2^n
18 cents. I've just switched over from Debian and am very impressed with
19 the Portage system and find administration and configuration to be very
20 straight forward and enjoyable. I have learned a great deal about Linux
21 in general during the transition (which is almost done -- I think). So,
22 without further adieu....
23
24 One thing I think needs some refinement is the USE system. I was
25 thinking that using a format that is more strict would allow for more
26 flexibility and make it easier to automate both the process of
27 generating the make.conf file and for tools to administer the USE
28 variables. It may also allow for some improvements in the Portage system
29
30 as well.
31
32 Using the docs in make.conf as the starting point, I think it would make
33
34 sense to have a simple database format, or, if using python a list of
35 dictionaries. For example, one entry might look like this:
36
37 use_var={"name":"esd",
38 "description":"Enable enlightenment sound daemon support.",
39 "priority":"OPTIONAL",
40 "depends":"media-sound/esound"}
41
42 where:
43
44 priority => RECOMMENDED | REQUIRED | OPTIONAL | STANDARD |
45 EXPERIMENTAL | DEPRECIATED | DONTUSE | CANNOTLIVEWITHOUT
46
47 depends => packages required to satisfy the USE variable
48
49 Note the "depends" entry. This may allow the Portage system to become
50 more flexible. Rather than just silently checking for use flags it may
51 be nice to let the user know which USE variables are supported and
52 possibly give the option to install supported packages, easily located
53 through the "depends" field in the "database". This might serve as
54 something similar to the Debian "recommended" package option. Maybe
55 including a USE or OPTIONAL flag in the ebuild file that lists all of
56 the possible USE options could be added.
57
58 Also, maybe adding a "--satisfyuse" flag to the ebuild/emerge command.
59
60 I know Gentoo is designed for more advanced users and what I have
61 described may seem gratuitous, but I think it might make things easier
62 in the long run. (Also, even advanced users can do with a _little_
63 convenience.)
64
65 It may, then, also make sense to give a little more structure to the
66 optimization settings. For example:
67
68 optimization_var={
69 "host":"i686",
70 "chost":"i686-pc-linux-gnu",
71 "cflags":"-mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -O3 -pipe",
72 "cxxflags":"-mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -O3 -pipe"}
73
74 where:
75
76 host => i386 | i486 | i586 | i686 | k6 | athalon [ | ppc ]
77
78 And, for the sake of completeness, why not the FETCHCOMMAND:
79
80 fetch_cmd={
81 "name":"Lukemftp",
82 "command":"/usr/bin/lukemftp -s -a -o \${DISTDIR}/\${y} \${x}"}
83
84 If I recall correctly, my inspiration for all of this was when, during a
85
86 recent update, I noticed that some new USE variables were available. I
87 found it annoying to see which ones I had already included (searching
88 through my long and possibly overkill USE string) and if there were any
89 new ones that I wanted. Then I thought, "Gee, wouldn't a nice ncurses
90 interface be great -- a couple of check boxes and then I have more time
91 to attend to something only a little more important?"
92
93 As this is my first (and hopefully longest) message please give me some
94 feedback, both good and bad -- I can take it.
95
96 I am thoroughly enjoying Gentoo Linux. Thank you to everyone.
97
98 Regards,
99 Zach Forrest
100