From: Avi Schwartz <avi@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] How do I keep multiple versions of modules?
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:39:46
1 Sounds strange, but not so.
2
3 The problem happened when I built the 2.4.19 kernel. I had to rebuild
4 the pcmcia and alsa modules as well. Guess what, I had some problems
5 with 2.4.19 (actually the problem is vmware and not the kernel. vmware
6 will not build the modules since it uses malloc.h which was depriciated
7 in 2.4.19). So I decided to boot 2.4.18. Suddenly none of the alsa
8 modules would load.
9
10 What happens is that when I built the alsa modules for 2.4.19, the
11 installation program removed the previous version and therefore the
12 modules where gone from the /lib/modules/2.4.18 hierarchy.
13
14 Kernel modules should be special and if you rebuild a module, it should
15 remove the module only for the currently running kernel hierarchy and
16 not from a different kernel version.
17
18 Is this even possible with the poratge system?
19
20 I wasn't sure where I should post this, so I crossposted to user and
21 dev.
22
23 Avi
26 Avi Schwartz