From: Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] emerge world taking excessive CPU/real time
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 14:13:46
1 I commonly run:
2 emerge --pretend --update --verbose --deep --newuse world
3 at least once every day to provide a list of recently updated packages that
4 I need to re-emerge.
5
6 I've noticed recently (in the last 1-2 weeks) that it seems to be taking a
7 very long time. The one I've got running now has on the order of 8+ CPU
8 minutes which seems very long. I think this used to take <2 minutes.
9
10 I've also noticed some chatter on the gentoo-dev list about including
11 package dates in the portage database.
12
13 Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any ideas about the
14 possible cause? Could it be python version related?
15
16 Versions are: portage-2.1.7.1 and Python 2.6.3 (r263:75183, Oct 3 2009,
17 02:52:55).
18
19 Thanks,
20 Robert