From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per-package default USE flags
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:05:30
1 On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:35:10 +0200 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
2 | > Which is why I suggested changing Portage's behaviour earlier in the
3 | > thread. Like it or not, overlays are already getting complex enough
4 | > that they'd benefit from profile behaviour.
5 |
6 | Because maintaining your own profiles and stacking them and dealing
7 | with all the related mess is a _lot_ easier that sticking a + before
8 | foo in IUSE. Right. ;)
9
10 You mean, than sticking a + before foo in IUSE in every ebuild, and
11 ensuring that changes are kept in sync and consistent with the
12 behaviour of every single existing profile.
13
14 | > | Nearest I can figure, you're pressing hard for the view that all
15 | > | USE flags must come from profiles (by extension user
16 | > | configuration);
17 | >
18 | > Yup. Default USE flags are profile dependent data. The sensible
19 | > default value varies depending upon conditions like arch and system
20 | > role.
21 |
22 | You are really circular, fix your record player :P
23
24 That's not even remotely circular. They're profile dependent, so they
25 belong in the profile. There is no circular.
26
27 | Defaults that makes sense in profiles can and will stay there and
28 | noone's damn forcing you to change it. We are talking about
29 | per-package (or per-ebuild even) stuff here, which is a feature that
30 | has been missing for ages.
31
32 Which is solved quite happily in the profiles by package.use, and
33 without the problems associated with the IUSE solution.
34
35 | Sigh...
36
37 You know Jakub, you'd be a lot less stressed if you sat down and
38 thought about what was being discussed before posting.
41 Ciaran McCreesh
42 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
43 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
44 as-needed is broken : http://ciaranm.org/show_post.pl?post_id=13