From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
Cc: John Nilsson <pzycrow@××××××.com>, gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GnomeUI-WARNING
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:43:18
1 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> writes:
2
3 > xhost +localhost
4 > su -
5 > export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
6 >
7 > Using "su -", requires a display set. Where does one put the xhost and
8 > export in a generic sence? I have a single user machine and often use a
9 > number of x displays - how could I set up to do the above automaticly,
10 > no matter which X dispaly I am on?
11
12 I'm not a real expert on vim, but perhaps it has a feature where you
13 can edit a file as root from a vim session running as a normal without
14 explicitly su-ing anywhere. Kinda like Emacs's Tramp stuff;
15
16 /[sm/root@localhost]/etc/make.conf
17
18 This is much more convenient than switching users/using a local ssh
19 connection etc. or playing with xhost authentication.
22 Matthew Kennedy
23 Gentoo Linux Developer