From: Peter Cech <cech@×××××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming repoman check will fail on large files in the tree
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:08:39
1 On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 07:56:35AM +0100, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 04:52:40AM -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Policy states files over 20k are not to be commited- I'll be committing
4 > > the logic to enforce this shortly- files over 20k will be viewed by
5 > > repoman as a failed check.
8 > Sorry for the late reply, but does this really need to be checked by
9 > repoman, shouldnt this kind of decision be left to the developers
10 > discretion?
11
12 As a Gentoo user I welcome the restriction. It seems that developers
13 discretion was failing in some cases.
14
15 Personally I feel strongly against files subdirs in portage tree. Just
16 look at this statistics for files subdirs:
17
18 7503 files subdirectories contain:
19 22720 files (of that 7085 are files other than digest-*) of size
20 16837645 bytes (15452582 when not counting digests)
21
22 None of the files is needed prior to emerge -f. Most of them are never
23 used, but have to be transfered on emerge sync and have to be on the
24 harddrive. IMO this part of portage tree should be moved out and
25 downloaded with sources on fetch step.
26
27 Regards,
28 Peter Cech
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list