From: Max Arnold <lwarxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Building custom package for multi-arch/system
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 15:14:31
1 On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 03:59:27AM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 01/28/2010 09:24 PM, Max Arnold wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 04:17:41PM +0100, Beber wrote:
4 > >> So, do you guys plan to implement a such thing ? That's one of the
5 > >> features that is mostly missing imho. The principal miss in on client
6 > >> side as I have tools to manage packages but would like to not have too
7 > >> much specific scripts on client side.
8 > >
9 > > I like the way it done in OpenEmbedded. You have the tree of recipes (think of portage tree)
10 > > and bunch of targets. For each target BitBake can generate binary release and package feed.
11 > > Client package management is lightweight and does not require BitBake, recipes tree and even
12 > > python. At least this is my lame interpretation of how it works :)
13 >
14 > You can do something similar using the emerge --config-root option.
15 > You'd just use a different --config-root for each target, and each
16 > of those would have a separate $PKGDIR.
17
18 Can someone share his experience of using Catalyst or Metro as generator of binary package
19 updates for precompiled client machines? How smooth it is in the long run?