From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: 'mad' vs 'mp3' USE flags
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:40:52
1 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> posted 44B7FD7A.6010209@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:24:26 -0700:
3
4 >> Per-package use.mask is not here for another year and in the mean time I
5 >> needed a working solution, this is it.
6 >
7 > It think we can have it sooner than "another year". There are lots of
8 > fixes in 2.1.1_pre and I'd like to close the merge window pretty soon so
9 > that it can be stabilized. I'll work on a patch for package.use and
10 > package.use.mask so that we should be able to have it in a stable 2.1.1
11 > release within a month or two.
12
13 PMFJI but don't we have to keep compatibility with old versions for a year
14 (well, from my read, I believe the precedent is 10 months) after the change
15 hits stable, or did the discussion I remember reading a bit of decide say
16 6 months was enough?
17
18 Even if EAPI is used, previous policy would have put it nearly a year from
19 now, as EAPI was only introduced with 2.1.0, or was it backported?
20
21 I've seen discussion of both points above, but no definitive policy
22 changes. If I've missed the decisions, others may have as well, so
23 maybe others will find the answers helpful too.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list