From: Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] An ebuild for Xaw3d
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:01:15
1 Hi all,
2
3 Attached is an ebuild for the Xwindows widget set Xaw3d, which is not in the
4 main XFree86 distro. I made an ebuild for it becaus it's used by gv, which
5 I'm about to make an ebuild for as well, beacuse it's used by LyX, without
6 which I can't live.
7
8 This should go into x11-libs/Xaw3d.
9
10 The build process is rather complicated. A short explanation follows. The
11 ebuild itself also contains many comments.
12
13 Xaw3d is a widget set 'contributed' to the official X distro of the X
14 Consortium at www.x.org. It didn't enter XFree86.
15
16 Like all X stuff, it has Imakefiles. It also cannot build outside the main X
17 tree source. A patch is added to rectify the problem
18 (Xaw3d-out-of-tree.diff). The second patch addresses substituion of Xfree86
19 for generic XR6.4 (Xaw3d-xfree86.diff).
20
21 The patches were not written by me. They are modifications of Slackware's
22 adaption of Xaw3d. The original version is at
23 http://ftp1.sourceforge.net/pub/slackware/slackware_source/x/xaw3d/
24 and has a very nice SlackBuild shell script from which I derived the ebuild's
25 compile function.
26
27 Another helpful URL is at the gv homepage,
28 http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~plass/gv/Xaw3d.html
29 and gives similar instructions. However the ebuild uses rather the Slackware
30 ideas.
31
32 Note: the original Xaw3d package can be downloaded from any mirror of
33 ftp.x.org. However some of the mirrors listed on www.x.org are partial and
34 don't contain this file. I was to lazy to check them all and enter a
35 corrected list into the ebuild, therefore as of now it only has ftp.x.org and
36 ibiblio.org listed.
37
38 Dan Armak

Xaw3d-out-of-tree.diff text/plain