From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ekeyword and ordering
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:52:53
1 Catching up on your inbox, foser? ;-)
2
3 foser wrote: [Mon Aug 01 2005, 01:06:10PM EDT]
4 > On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 14:46 -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
5 > > foser wrote: [Sat Jun 11 2005, 04:15:22AM EDT]
6 > > > Arch keywords are concepts and as such may not primarily be dealt as
7 > > > a an alphabetical list but as words in a sentence, there is no abc
8 > > > order in sentences.
9 > >
10 > > Foser, no offense intended, but you started out in this thread making
11 > > a couple good points. However this is completely off the wall. The
12 > > KEYWORDS list isn't a sentence.
13 >
14 > The post I replied to was full of far-fetched reasoning, I just made a
15 > similar post.
16
17 Actually, later I thought maybe I understood your sentence parallel.
18 Your point was that when the KEYWORDS list is scrambled from its
19 original order, it loses information, similar to when the words in
20 a sentence are scrambled. Sorry, I should have been more open-minded
21 in my first reading.
22
23 > > > If you have to search, you'll have
24 > > > to scan anyway, exact position is not a guarantee for certainty because
25 > > > not every pack is available on every arch, it's not like you can go
26 > > > without scanning.
27 > >
28 > > Doesn't change the point that scanning in alpha order is easier than
29 > > scanning append order.
30 > >
31 > > > Last, this only holds to some extent true for people
32 > > > in countries with alphabetic scripts, outside that limited part of the
33 > > > globe people are not as proficient in ordering alphabetically.
34 > >
35 > > AFAIK, all Gentoo developers are fluent English speakers, even if for
36 > > some it isn't their first language.
37 >
38 > Fluent, right. Try some of the cjk people. Not really. Anyway, it
39 > doesn't matter, if you didn't grown up with the alphabet, you really
40 > don't know the ordering by heart like western people do. In spoken
41 > language it doesn't matter what the order is, it is totally
42 > arbitrary. Also, realistically it's probably only 1st language for
43 > maybe half of the devs these days.
44
45 IMHO (and I do mean humble, because I could be wrong) the majority of
46 portage tree commits are coming from people who are fluent in
47 a Western tongue. For many people the alpha ordering makes things
48 easier, and most of the others don't care.
49
50 > > > A certain amount of uncertainty in order actually might prove to be
51 > > > effective in having everyone who deals with keywords actually really
52 > > > check all keywords and not depend on assumptions, which both 'error'
53 > > > cases you mention seem to be caused by.
54 > >
55 > > Maintaining a behavior that encourages mistakes, in hopes that the
56 > > extra effort required will prevent those mistakes? This cannot
57 > > possibly be a good approach...
58 >
59 > You assume here suddenly that it encourages mistakes, there is no
60 > such evidence presented here or ever was, there is however evidence
61 > to the contrary where the continues shifting of orders (within
62 > packages) caused problems (the thing I disliked about this whole
63 > situation to begin with). I actually suggest that the opposite might
64 > be true, a certain degree of uncertainty (between packages) prompts
65 > caution and might prove to be more error-free. Sure it's all a bit
66 > far fetched, but so was the post that suggested that there was some
67 > grand ergonomic idea behind this arbitrary change.
68
69 You're right, I don't have evidence to present. My suspicion is that
70 uncertainty doesn't lead to caution in this case. I didn't intend to
71 make any more assumptions than you were making.
72
73 > I did not in this thread challenge the ordering (who made that up?),
74 > I challenged the way it got 'introduced'. I just got ticked off by
75 > the 'scientific basis' that suddenly was presented as the big reason
76 > behind it.
77 >
78 > To recap, it was the arbitrary /ordering change/ of a select group
79 > of individuals that created problems within packages, not the one or
80 > the other /order/.
81
82 Oh, I thought for sure that you were arguing that one order was better
83 than the other. If you weren't, why have you talked so much about it?
84 It seems like if you don't care about the ultimate ordering, then it
85 would be better to ignore that part of this thread, wouldn't it?
86
87 Regarding the way the change was made, I apologized at the beginning
88 of this thread and stated that I would not make a future change like
89 that without going through a discussion first. As the maintainer of
90 ekeyword, I made the change unilaterally without taking into account
91 how controversial it would be. It seems like the thread could have
92 ended there, eh?
93
94 Regards,
95 Aron