From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making a common sub-profile for no-multilib
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 18:47:26
1 Dnia 2014-06-25, o godz. 13:01:48
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > At the moment there are two profiles in particular that do this,
5 > amd64/no-multilib and hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64 .. It's possible or
6 > likely there are others, too, on other arches perhaps.
7 >
8 > In general, it's good that repoman notices this because those profiles
9 > don't support having the 32bit deps installed. However, if one of
10 > those profiles ever moves from a dev profile to a stable one (and
11 > blueness mentioned he would like to make uclibc/amd64 stable), then
12 > those dependency.badindev warnings will suddenly turn into
13 > dependency.bad errors.
14 >
15 > The solution to this would seem to be to package.mask all of these
16 > 32-bit packages in the pure 64bit profiles. However, having to do
17 > this in multiple locations is annoying.
18 >
19 > I would like to propose adding 'no-multilib/[arch]/package.mask'
20 > sub-profile(s), to allow all of these masks to go in one place.
21 >
22 > Populating package.mask should be fairly easy for amd64 at least,
23 > since anything depending on an app-emulation/emul-* will need to be
24 > masked. However the merits of where the package.mask will go needs
25 > discussion. Perhaps, for instance, it's time to adjust the profile
26 > tree hierarchy more aggressively instead of "piling on" with yet
27 > another subdir.
28
29 Forgive me for using such a words, but the profile tree is a well
30 stacked pile of crap. We have a dozen random profiles for each arch
31 then a dozen other profiles forked off them 'because the generic
32 arch profiles have crap' and a lot of profiles that inherit others
33 in a complex and semi-random manner.
34
35 For example, abi_x86_64 and abi_x86_32 each need to be forced in 4
36 profiles. This proves that we have 4 distinct profiles for amd64 which
37 need to be kept in sync. If I change something, I need to perform
38 the change in 4 different profiles and make sure I didn't screw
39 something up.
40
41 Then there's the x32 profile that inherits amd64 profile and therefore
42 requires reverting some of the stuff done on amd64. To do a complete
43 common change to x86-family multilib (like adding IUSE_IMPLICIT) I have
44 to modify 9 profiles.
45
46 Now let's add to this circa 8 mips profiles, around 3 ppc profiles, 4
47 arm profiles and some more. Every arch organized in somewhat different
48 and totally non-documented manner.
49
50 Long story short, doing anything to Gentoo profiles is utter pain
51 and comes with random breakage guarantee. Therefore, I'm asking -- nuke
52 those damn profiles, and start over! The current situation is
53 completely unmaintainable.
56 Best regards,
57 Michał Górny