From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE database?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 10:48:35
1 On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 05:06:53PM -0800, Zach Forrest wrote:
2 > One thing I think needs some refinement is the USE system. I was
3 > thinking that using a format that is more strict would allow for more
4 > flexibility and make it easier to automate both the process of
5 > generating the make.conf file and for tools to administer the USE
6 > variables. It may also allow for some improvements in the Portage system
7 > as well.
8
9 You're right, our USE system needs refinement, and we are currently
10 fleshing out details on how to do this. I agree that we may need a
11 master repository of USE variables, and I can code Portage to complain
12 about "invalid USE variables" if they aren't defined properly. This
13 should give everyone the impetus to update a global USE variable
14 definition file, making everyone's life easier. Good idea!
15
16 > Using the docs in make.conf as the starting point, I think it would make
17 > sense to have a simple database format, or, if using python a list of
18 > dictionaries. For example, one entry might look like this:
19 >
20 > use_var={"name":"esd",
21 > "description":"Enable enlightenment sound daemon support.",
22 > "priority":"OPTIONAL",
23 > "depends":"media-sound/esound"}
24
25 Sounds like a good plan. I haven't considered having a "depends" for
26 every USE variable, but it could come in handy if only for informational
27 purposes.
28
29 > Also, maybe adding a "--satisfyuse" flag to the ebuild/emerge command.
30
31 Good idea.
32
33 > I know Gentoo is designed for more advanced users and what I have
34 > described may seem gratuitous, but I think it might make things easier
35 > in the long run. (Also, even advanced users can do with a _little_
36 > convenience.)
37
38 Agreed.
39
40 > It may, then, also make sense to give a little more structure to the
41 > optimization settings. For example:
42 >
43 > optimization_var={
44 > "host":"i686",
45 > "chost":"i686-pc-linux-gnu",
46 > "cflags":"-mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -O3 -pipe",
47 > "cxxflags":"-mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -O3 -pipe"}
48
49 It would make my life easier if we would use python-based configuration
50 files. Right now, they're parsed. But being able to define dictionaries
51 is really appealing to me right now :)
52
53 > fetch_cmd={
54 > "name":"Lukemftp",
55 > "command":"/usr/bin/lukemftp -s -a -o \${DISTDIR}/\${y} \${x}"}
56
57 Just the idea of using dictionaries for configuration is sounding good
58 to me right now! :)
59
60 > I am thoroughly enjoying Gentoo Linux. Thank you to everyone.
61
62 You're welcome. And thanks for the thought-provoking suggestions :)
65 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
66 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org
67 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.