From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suitable USE flag name for stuff that requires non volatile memory
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 15:13:28
1 On Sat, 12 May 2007 09:00:34 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday 12 May 2007, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
5 > > Does it matter that the DUID-LLT isn't stored when starting from a
6 > > Live-CD? I don't see why there is the need for a use flag for this
7 > > functionality, when it doesn't imply a new dependency.
8 >
9 > the concern was to have a way to provide "nice" clients for use on
10 > volatile systems (netboot/livecd/etc...)
11 >
12 > everytime you'd boot up such a system and do dhcp, you'd create a new
13 > unique id and the server would store it ... this isnt very nice to
14 > the server admin who now has a set of unique ids that will never be
15 > utilized again but by default would maintain all of them
16 > -mike
17
18 Not only that, but boot of the same computer using a CD 200 times and
19 you use up 200 leases. Nice DOS attack I'd like to avoid really :)
20
21 I've thought long and hard about it and I think a compile time option
22 is best here. You can still disable the usage of DUID by null arg to
23 the -I option, but many users launch dhcpcd by hand on the live cds.
24
25 Thanks
26
27 Roy