From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] repoman --nonag (was Re: gentoo-x86 tree cleanup for 'DESCRIPTION ends with a '.' character' warnings )
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 19:00:50
1 Dnia 2014-08-12, o godz. 10:04:58
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> napisał(a):
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 12/08/14 09:54 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
8 > >
9 > > Perhaps we need to have a less-important repoman warning level
10 > > (something that can be quieted with a flag) for things like this?
11 > > In terms of DESCRIPTION consistency I don't see it being a bad
12 > > thing that we have the warning, but i also don't see a point in
13 > > changing the entire tree to get rid of 3000 bytes, esp. since the
14 > > ChangeLog entries added to the tree will add at least 30,000 bytes
15 > > :)
18 > I'm wondering what everyone thinks of having a --nonag option to
19 > repoman and shoving some of the more trivial/style-related repoman
20 > 'warnings' into a 'nag' level warning? IIRC at least one of the QA
21 > team members is so tired of the warnings that they want to make every
22 > single one of them errors; the --nonag option would allow those
23 > warnings to remain in repoman (ie to help guide new dev's or non-dev's
24 > using repoman on their local repos) but since they don't relate to
25 > actual technical breakage they can just be turned off during QA runs, etc.
26
27 Just don't. I think you missed the point hard and I don't want to know
28 where the ricochet ended.
29
30 First of all, the QA's issue is not really about verbosity of repoman.
31 It's more about developers who ignore repoman output and commit broken
32 ebuilds which QA needs to fix afterwards. '--nonag' would mean that
33 some developers will introduce even more warnings for others...
34
35 Secondly, AutoRepoman is already filtering repoman's output. If Patrick
36 disliked a particular warning, he'd filter it already. He doesn't need
37 easy-available repoman option for that.
38
39 Thirdly, I'm pretty sure I had a third argument but I forgot what it
40 was. But it was totally convincing, I'm sure of it.
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny