From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 03:02:45
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On 03/04/2010 08:57 PM, Patrick Nagel wrote:
3 >> Obviously, users who "re-install" Gentoo the way you do will have less
4 >> difficulties resolving a circular dependency than those who are just
5 >> following
6 >> the guide and getting their first Gentoo experience.
7 >
8 > I think that the cups issue is probably worth mentioning in the
9 > Handbook. Whether it is there by default or not lots of people get
10 > burned by it. A little advanced warning would help.
11 >
12 > I think that at the very least following the handbooks to the letter
13 > should never lead to an error.
14 >
15 > I think that a good argument can be made for or against having cups in
16 > the desktop profile - this might actually be the sort of thing a
17 > survey would be useful to address.
18 >
19 > I think that is separate from the circular dependency issue. As long
20 > as we have an unresolved circular dependency I think cups should be
21 > off the list. However, I'd be the first to agree that this is a
22 > short-term solution.
23 >
24 > The problem is that we only have two long-term solutions so far:
25 >
26 > 1. A smarter package manager that can work through these dependencies
27 > automatically.
28 >
29 > 2. Splitting packages like poppler that have these issues.
30 >
31 > Both of these need effort to address. #1 requires PM work, and #2
32 > requires an ongoing commitment to do more work to keep poppler working.
33 >
34 > Unless somebody can come up with a #3 at this point the most
35 > constructive thing anybody can do is help out. A good place to start
36 > would be to write up some patches to the handbook that clearly explain
37 > how to deal with this problem.
38 >
39 > I'm not sure I agree with the poppler maintainers but they may have
40 > reasons that aren't apparent to me and the fact is that it is a whole
41 > lot easier to tell somebody how to maintain a package when I'm not the
42 > one actually doing the work. Nothing gets results in FOSS like dirty
43 > hands...
44 >
45 > Rich
49 Well said. I agree with this. The devs may not be able to fix this
50 specific issue but circular deps come up. We need a long term fix and
51 now is as good a time as any to start thinking of one. Heck, I don't
52 expect this to be done this week. It may take months to fix this or
53 just figure out a way to do it. I just know this is becoming a problem
54 and it isn't getting any better even tho people are trying. I would
55 like to see a solution like happened with the blocks issue. Just some
56 way that is easy for the devs to keep the tree clean but also have a
57 package manager that can work around this. Even if it means portage
58 spitting out a message that some packages shouldn't be used during the
59 update because some packages have to be uninstalled first, that would be
60 good. Let portage wait for a yes/no reply before doing the updates and
61 doing them as close to first thing as possible. Read that as, don't
62 compile openoffice then come back to the deps part.
63
64 Progress.
65
66 Dale