From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Make connman a global USE flag
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 21:28:40
1 Matt Turner posted on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 08:42:47 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Several packages are using it with the same sense (support connman),
5 >> maybe we should move it from local to global USEs, what do you think?
6 >
7 > Off-topic question, but how is connman related to NetworkManager? Is it
8 > an alternative, or is it useful in the presence of NetworkManager?
9
10 Based on FLOSS community news I read about it at the time...
11
12 Connman was designed by Intel, et al, for meego, etc (tho I think it was
13 originally started with the predecessor, merlin or whatever it was
14 called). IOW, it was originally designed/intended for semi-embedded
15 applications (phones, etc) where networkmanager has too many dependencies
16 and is more complex than was desired, but a GUI network-management
17 application was still desired.
18
19 Of course there was some talk of all that being simply NIH (not invented
20 here) syndrome, but of course FLOSS is full of such alternative choices,
21 so regardless of the reason, no big deal.
22
23 So connman's an alternative to networkmanager, in theory less complex and
24 with less dependencies, tho I'm not sure how well it actually kept to
25 that. I'd guess by now it'd be a reasonably mature solution, tho I've
26 not used either one, personally.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman