From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Debian patching KDE to use /etc for configuration (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: call for testers: udev predictable network interface names)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:02:30
In Reply to: Re: Debian patching KDE to use /etc for configuration (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: call for testers: udev predictable network interface names) by Alec Warner
1 > >
2 > > How about uncommenting a line that does so. All you are buying into is
3 > > a default setup.
4 >
5 > App authors don't ship configs like that though. Does apt ship a sudo
6 > config? Does anything?
7
8 Perhaps you missed my opening message on this topic, except it was in
9 your first reply.
10
11 __________________________________________________________________
12
13 I remember reading a while back that distros had some blunders in
14 writing secure sudoers files and so it was emptied. Is that true?
15
16 I still ascert that apps adding groups with NOPASSWD sudoers lines
17 perhaps even commented out by default in all or some cases is far
18 better than polkit for many reasons. Any counter argument can apply
19 to sudo too and rather easily.
20 ____________________________________________________________________
21
22 > The nice thing about (really dbus, not so much polkit per se) is that
23 > I can offer a nice API for applications that is not command line
24 > based. No parsing strings, no 'oh this tool writes to stderr, that one
25 > writes to stdout, I need to ignore these lines...)
28 What is wrong with sed and you can simply echo files in some sudoers.d
29 config. What kind of unix dev cannot handle text strings.
30
31 That is one of the problems with it too, especially if polkit becomes
32 over used and perhaps this is below the belt but it's certainly true
33 that IPC has caused Android more than enough security issues.
36 > >> I don't understand 'the APIs that coders will learn instead of C.' Can
37 > >> you elaborate? Polkit has a C api...
38 > >>
39 > >
40 > > It has an api that is simply not needed? Small tools are better.
41 >
42 > You prefer the commandline api? (one byte for return values, half of
43 > which are signals)
46 What's the problem there?. I have already stated some of the very
47 important benefits.
50 > >> I don't understand how the code will 'not be well designed to the
51 > >> application at hand.' I mean ideally the API and the CLI are
52 > >> essentially just wrappers around the same library of functions.
53 > >>
54 > >
55 > > If you search for sites that evaluate polkit you will see that it is
56 > > considered to encourage granting more permissions than necessary rather
57 > > than coding a specific tool.
58 >
59 > Hah, because no one uses sudo to grant extraordinarily broad permissions.
62 They do, but it encourages them not to and not vice versa and they can
63 easily customise the default rule to say emerge -moresecurethandefault
64
65 Win Win and a couple more Wins in fact
68 > >> Its unclear how polkit is 'hard'. Now it *is* new, and I will concede
69 > >> you will have to read some manpages. However i don't think the
70 > >> concepts are difficult.
71 > >
72 > > Man pages won't help with polkit and it actually generally ships with no
73 > > configs by default.
74 >
75 > In Ubuntu Precise..
76
77 You still have to do way more than commenting or editing a file to
78 restrict the default further, aka it's unlikely to happen.
81 > All of this is explained in man polkit.
84 And pkauthority and and .... How will that help when as I have
85 mentioned a coders comments aren't even sure exactly what the code
86 permits.
89 > > I know about pkaction, the problem is that the actions tells you next to
90 > > nothing about what is actually allowed. I haven't time to dig out one
91 > > of the rediculous comments from the source now unfortunately. With
92 > > small tools it's much better all round.
93 >
94 > Really? Please enumerate what giving someone access to 'emerge' can do.
97 Exactly, you see man emerge and grepping the source does work perfectly
98 well there. You could make myemerge pretty quick too.
102 > No one maintains the sudo wrappers though. Someone maintains the
103 > polkit actions. That someone also happens to be the upstream author.
106 That's what I am asking, is there any reason not to as it would be
107 better? No reason has come up yet?
111 > >> Is the polkit maintain any less 'trustworthy' than the gnome
112 > >> maintainers? the kde maintainers? the kernel maintainers? At the end
113 > >> of the day my machines are running software from thousands of
114 > >> contributors.
115 > >>
116 > >
117 > > I think that has been demonstrated and we are talking about root code
118 > > and sudo is never running as such.
119 >
120 > I don't follow...
123 It is certainly far easier to exploit polkit than sudo with a decent
124 sudoers of course for multiple reasons.
130
131 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
132 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
133 universal interface'
134
135 (Doug McIlroy)