From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Success report: Gnome 2.6.1
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:58:31
1 [Not sure how better to report this]
2
3 After extensive tests on a separate partition set up to be an rsync'd
4 dual booted mirror copy of the system, (and having mounted /usr/portage
5 in common between the two "systems" so that I could re-use packages
6 built in the course of testing) I found Gnome 2.6.1 to be workable.
7
8 So, using the packages built in testing, I upgraded my primary sustem's
9 gnome. Used ~x86 to get gnome-base/gnome-2.6.1-rc1 and its dependencies,
10 but I did NOT use emerge -u because I did not want to drag the rest of
11 my system onto ~x86.
12
13 After 24 hours of use, everything is in good shape.
14
15 Only obvious issues is gpdf-0.131 won't display the PDFs I've created
16 (with OO) anymore. Giving all gibberish. Not sure what the deal is.
17
18 rhythmbox [mp3 player] is fine (no crashes!).
19
20 totem [mpeg/dvd player] is still a bit up in the air - audio DVDs are
21 playing, but video is a bit choppy [I've heard things are a bit funky
22 inside GStreamer 0.8, but with rhythmbox working fine so I'm not sure
23 what the problem is].
24
25 evo, galeon, openoffice-ximian are all good.
26
27 I'd recommend that 2.6.1 be unmasked x86.
28
29 Regards,
30
31 AfC
32 Toronto
33
34 [I know 2.6.0 was just unmasked, but tracking a version back the usual
35 way doesn't really mean the same in GNOME, IMHO - a version back is
36 2.4.2; the 2.6.1 versions of most GNOME are mostly necessary bugfixes,
37 but I realize it is a lot of work to prepare the dependencies and to get
38 the "meta" package gnome-base/gnome right]
41 Andrew Frederick Cowie
42 Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd
43
44 Fixing your technology by focusing on your people and
45 the processes around them. We improve usabilty, scalabilty,
46 and maintainability - the keys to making technology work -
47 through team building, implementing effective procedures,
48 and enhancing systems performance.
49
50 Contact us!
51