From: Scott J Garner <mrfab@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild requiring user input
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 01:24:06
1 Ok, I must not have explained this very well...
2
3 It wasn't my intention to have the ebuild require
4 user intervention by default, but as an option if
5 need be (as indicated at the end of the message).
6
7 The hardware in question is the ir controller for
8 the remote to use which can be any number of
9 external or onboard devices. There is a configure
10 option for "any" driver which would allow for a
11 automatic ebuild and would be default. The
12 problem with that is that it doesn't build all of
13 the drivers--specifically leaving out those that
14 require a lirc kernel module.
15
16 This problem seems beyond the scope of use vars to
17 me...in my eyes the solution is to use the "any"
18 driver by default and if this didn't sufficient
19 allow the user to specify the proper options. The
20 question then is, do I just allow for them to
21 enter the required configure options by hand or
22 provide someway to use the dialog based config
23 util or both?
24
25 I suppose it would be possible to store the ir
26 related data someplace in etc, but it varies so
27 much from system to system and would be used so
28 rarely it seems overkill.
29
30 It would be really nice if this problem was
31 avoidable, but for some reason the authors of lirc
32 decided one should tweak all of the settings
33 before compile instead of after as usual.
37 On Sun 19 May 2002 at 14:16 -0500,