From: "Matthew T. Jachimstal" <matthew@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] question about grub
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:08:13
1 On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 13:00, Ryan McLean wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I was reading your excellent installation documentation online, and I
5 > ran into a question. Near the end you're breaking down the commands for
6 > grub, but you leave some information out that I would like to know:
7 >
8 > # Below needed only for people who dual-boot
9 > title=Windows NT Workstation
10 > root (hd0,5)
11 > chainloader +1
12 >
13 > I'm unclear as to what the (hd0,5) are pointing to, is to say "boot of
14 > off the FAT partition located at partition 5"? Normally MS likes to
15 > reside on the primary partition of the drive, so I just want clarification
16 > on this. For instance, if I have a dual boot, MS on the primary partition
17 > and Gentoo's root at (sd0,3), then I would put root (sd0,1) under my
18 > Windows boot section, correct? And also, what does the chainloader +1
19 > command do? Thank you fo your time, I'm an old fan of lilo, but I have
20 > been cosidering migrating to a newer bootloader :)
21
22 I'll take a quick stab at this:
23
24 First, always add 1 to grub's numbers for disk and partition. The first
25 partition of the first disk is (hd0,0). So, if your Windows is on sda1,
26 the grub parameter is (sd0,0).
27
28 The chainloader +1 (I think) means to start chain loading the boot
29 loader 1 sector from the start of the specified (root) partition.
30
31 There's some excellent grub docs at the GNU website:
32 http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.90/grub.html
33
34 I'd definitely encourage you to move to grub. Writing the boot sector
35 once really is much nicer. I messed up a config file, putting hd(0,0)
36 instead of (hd0,0). With LILO I would've needed to find a boot disc. In
37 grub, I simply edited the boot commands from the menu and merrily went
38 on with the boot.
39
40 Have fun!
41 Matthew
44 Matthew T. Jachimstal | Phone: (419) 861-3331 .~.
45 System Administrator | FAX: (419) 861-3340 /V\
46 Unique Systems, Inc. | http://www.uniqsys.com // \\
47 6920 Spring Valley Drive, Suite 106 | matthew@×××××××.com /( )\
48 Holland, OH 43528 | ^`~'^