From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving CPU flags into USE_EXPAND
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 01:13:01
1 On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
2
3 > On January 20, 2015 12:47:03 AM PST, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > >So, you're telling me that if you have a list of 90 cpu extensions, you
6 > >will from time to time open that list to see if there is a 91st one
7 > >added ? I think most people won't even notice, at best they'll look for
8 > >the changelog.
9 >
10 > No, actually, I’m advocating the exact opposite. I’m saying that, as long
11 > as the list file is kept up to date, then I will look at those 90 flags
14 Why do you keep insisting on 90 flags? Nothing is going to have alternate
15 code paths for whether you've got pse, pse36, pat, fpu, or ept. The vast
16 majority of the flags in cpuinfo aren't ever going to be in anything
17 userspace. The kernel might care about them, but even then, most of them
18 aren't going to be related to any options you can change.