From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Hangouts
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:35:44
1 On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 > These are all good reasons to not use Hangouts. Fortunately, there was
3 > nothing in the proposal to suggest that it will be required for anyone, or
4 > that it will replace any existing source of information. Therefore anyone
5 > who chooses not to make use of Hangouts will not otherwise be affected by
6 > them.
7
8 Right now the only "required" forums for communication for developers
9 are the -core and -dev-announce mailing lists, as far as I'm aware.
10 Not even IRC is a required communication medium, though obviously that
11 is where most meetings are held.
12
13 My main beef with IRC is that meetings tend to drag on, which is fine
14 if you're multi-tasking, but not so fine if you have someplace to be
15 and you'd rather get it done with sooner so that you can get on the
16 road or whatever (where multitasking isn't exactly safe). I think
17 that moving more communication to asynchronous channels might be a
18 better solution than either Hangouts or IRC, and then using
19 synchronous channels for things that actually benefit from it (team
20 building, matters that need some interaction, etc).
21
22 Rich