From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] git history older than "proj/gentoo: Initial commit" (56bd759)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 21:29:18
1 On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 3:55 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > I'd like to start with: kudos for the very skilfully performed migration
4 > from CVS to git! I just committed a simple changed and it worked great.
5 >
6 > I was curious and started exploring the repo a little bit, and the
7 > initial commit says:
8 >
9 >> This commit is the start of the NEW history.
10 >> Any historical data is intended to be grafted onto this point.
11 >
12 > Is the historical data available now? Is it still work in progress?
15 The official version is still pending.
16
17 My unofficial version (which as far as I can tell is about as good as
18 it is going to get, but consider it draft) is at:
19 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo-gitmig-20150809-draft
20
21 (The official version will no doubt be hosted on pure-FOSS infra.)
22
23 You can graft them using git replace --graft I believe, though I
24 haven't actually tried this. In theory you can do this as many times
25 as you wish as improved historical migrations come along, and as long
26 as you get rid of all the refs to the old heads git will eventually
27 garbage-collect the junk.
28
29 There are 2M commits, and probably about 10x as many objects. A
30 bundle is 1.7G (and is compressed), so expect a clone to take a while.
31 I have to say that github has gotten better at handling it - my first
32 pushes of migrations a year ago would die with an error and then the
33 repo would just show up in github a few hours later. Now the pushes
34 succeed and the repo shows up fairly quickly after they are finished.
38 Rich