From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:25:07
1 W. Trevor King posted on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:52:13 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > Also, I don't see a way to say “use Git to sync, but keep a shallow
4 > repository”.
5
6 Presumably at some point we'd get the PORTAGE_GIT* equivalent of the
7 PORTAGE_RSYNC* settings from make.conf, but settable in both make.conf
8 for global git-type settings and repos.conf for individual repo settings.
9
10 The big step, basic git support, is already there, but it doesn't have
11 the broad usage of rsync and thus people haven't yet run into all the
12 corner-cases that triggered the development of all those rich rsync
13 option settings we have access to these days.
14
15 Tho I don't think it should be a blocker to the git migration, as I guess
16 it'll be pretty mandatory that we keep an rsync backport for at least the
17 gentoo-standard year of support. Immediately dropping stuff like
18 changelogs from that rsync backport should make that simpler. If people
19 want them, they can arrange to use the user-git repo.
20
21 > On the other hand, it wouldn't be too terrible to force users to shallow
22 > their history manually whenever they felt like it.
23
24 True.
25
26 Which brings up another point. A user-focused git migration guide
27 document would be very nice and very gentoo. =:^) Once we have the git
28 thing up and running for the early-adopters who can more or less find
29 their own way, I'd call that a blocker to the possibility of eventually
30 turning off rsync entirely, for our stable users. Again, *NOT* a blocker
31 to turning on git for those who can find their own way, but to eventually
32 turning off the rsync backward compatibility machinery for stable.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman