From: "Spider (D.m.D. Lj.)" <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split ELF Debug (defult or not?)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:39:13
1 On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 12:50 -0500, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > Good afternoon,
3 >
4 > probably in portage-2.0.54 a patch will be added to emit split debug
5 > info. Having a split debug allows us to retain all the advantages of
6 > stripping executables while gaining the ability to properly debug
7 > executables in bfd aware programs. It's been in testing with a small
8 > hand full of devs and works quite well, but before it's pushed in we
9 > would like to get input from our devs & users.
10 >
11 > Would you be willing to give up space in $ROOT/usr/lib/debug for ELF
12 > executables by default in order to aid in better debugging by or do we
13 > want to only emit it when a FEATURE= is defined.
14 >
15 > Having a split debug pretty much obsoletes the need to add nostrip to
16 > your features in order to get debug info.
17 >
18 > Users wishing to not have debug info can simply add
19 > INSTALL_MASK="/usr/lib/debug ${INSTALL_MASK}" to make.conf or the
20 > environment unless we make it FEATURE based.
21 >
22 > I'm in favor of it enabled per default but I'd like to know what you
23 > think and why. (advantages of on/off by default etc..)
24 >
25 > Anybody wanting to test or make use of this feature right away can grab
26 > a copy of my prepstrip from
27 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/portage_misc/prepstrip and save it to
28 > /usr/lib/portage/bin/prepstrip or patch portage with
29 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/patch_overlay/sys-apps/portage/portage-2.0.53_rc7-prepstrip.patch
30 > It requires you merge pax-utils for the scanelf util.
34 I would certainly like this as on by default, and controlled via
35 INSTALL_MASK rather than a FEATURE.
39 (Although I'd have to rebuild my complete system, since I do have it all
40 with debug-symbols enabled ;)
41
42 //Spider
45 begin .signature