From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Building against /usr/src/linux and linux-info.eclass
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:43:12
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 This issue has come up in a few bugs so I want to bounce it off the
4 community. When building packages that need a configured kernel source
5 tree, many ebuilds inherit linux-info to find configuration info about
6 the kernel. However, there is the running kernel with its configuration
7 (/proc/config.gz if it exists), there is the kernel source tree
8 (/usr/src/linux if it exists and is configured) and both of these can be
9 of a different version than linux-headers. Since building modules
10 consumes headers from /usr/include/linux, but uses code from
11 /usr/src/linux and then these modules are expected to insmod against the
12 running kernel, all of which can be mismatched, we have a lot of room
13 for breakage. Eg. bug #458014.
14
15 Any ideas about how to deal cleanly with situations like that?
18 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
19 Chair of Information Technology
20 D'Youville College
21 Buffalo, NY 14201