From: Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild Generators
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 12:30:45
1 On 03/02/20 12:19, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > Hi Gerion,
3 >
4 > Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@×××××.de> writes:
5 >
6 >>> Yes, that makes a lot of sense. The R overlay follows this model. Most
7 >>> of the ebuilds are automated. When an ebuild generation fails, we add
8 >>> the ebuild manually, understand it and then update the generator to
9 >>> cover it in the future.
10 >> Is this possible in all cases? I think of adding custom patches,
11 >> appropriate mapping of dependencies, check for things like desktop
12 >> icon cache...
13 > That's too complex to handle automatically. Luckily, in R overlay, such
14 > packages are less than 5%. An ebuild generator is based on the
15 > observation that many language-specific packages are trivial to fetch,
16 > compile and install.
17 >
18 >>>> I'm only "maintaining" an overlay so maybe I'm missing experience
19 >>>> but I often have wished a tool that automatically parses the language specific
20 >>>> packaging files and is able to generate a primitive ebuild out of that.
21 >>>> Maybe it even can do this in an interactive way:
22 >>>> "Hey, upstream needs the dependency 'foo'. In the Gentoo packages I have found
23 >>>> 'dev-bar/foo' and 'dev-util/foo'. What is the correct one?"
24 >>> Yes, that's the way R overlay is working. And I have a similar plan and
25 >>> proof-of-concept solution for the Java Maven overlay.
26 >> Nice to hear. I think, it is meaningful to solve all generation with one
27 >> tool. Maybe it can even "recognize" the used build system and package
28 >> database. Is this your plan, too?
29 > No, I don't think it possible as far as I can see... That would be a
30 > strong AI.
31 >
32 > Yours,
33 > Benda
34 There was some interest in doing this for PyPI packages for Liguros linux.
35 See https://gitlab.com/liguros/bugs/issues/75 .