From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:27:53
1 Mikey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 January 2006 19:49, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
3 >
4 >> You aren't serious, are you? Did *you* read the fucking manual *and*
5 >> comprehend it? Methinks not...upgrading from 3.3 to 3.4 in a
6 >
7 > I didn't write the manual, so save your hubris for whoever did. I just
8 > followed its instructions, I ate the dog food.
9
10 Which is precisely your problem. You are blindly eating your food
11 without contemplating the contents.
14 >> pre-existing install != installing from a fresh stage. First, running
15 >> bootstrap.sh with the new gcc version unmasked would completely get rid
16 >> of the "-e system" part of that howto, since that would force your
17 >> toolchain to rebuild itself. Second, the -e world is to ensure that
18 >> your full install (which surely has plenty of c++ apps outside of
19 >> system) is linked against the libstdc++ of the new gcc.
20 >
21 > The test has nothing to do with installing from a pre-existing install.
22
23 Exactly! Yet, the gcc upgrading guide which you follow so blindly and
24 religiously *is* meant for upgrading from a pre-existing install.
27 > The test was getting a current gentoo stage tarball with a current portage
28 > snapshot up to date, stage1 -vs- stage3. Nothing was unmasked either.
29 > Were you are pulling that from is beyond me.
30
31 I was just noting that in the past, gcc 3.4 would have been masked for
32 some people. If you want s/3.3/3.4/, and s/3.4/4.0/ now, because it is
33 the same situation. However, it really doesn't matter here.
36 > Running an emerge -e system does not magically switch you over to the new
37 > gcc, it would uselessly recompile the entire system with gcc 3.3.4 again.
38
39 This is extremely funny. So, without even comprehending what you are
40 typing, you just said (in a roundabout way) that if you did bootstrap.sh
41 and then used gcc-config to set 3.4 as your system compiler, that your
42 system compiler would *not* be switched over to 3.3 at any time during
43 emerge -e system...and you are 100% correct! Remember, gcc is slotted.
44 If you are really that paranoid, simply unmerge the 3.3.x gcc after
45 you have run bootstrap.sh.
48 > Hence the need to READ AND COMPREHEND the instructions in the gcc migration
49 > guide, which was plainly announced in GWN at the time. If you don't
50 > believe me, go troll around the forums a little and try to help the poor
51 > saps who didn't realize they needed to follow that guide. Even half of the
52 > ones who did read the guide completely dorked up their running boxes.
53
54 Wow, you sure like to contradict yourself. You keep jumping back and
55 forth between talking about a new install and running installs. Care to
56 make your mind up at some point?
59 >> Remember, in a pristine stage3, system == world. Therefore, your
60 >> "comparison" is really telling folks to emerge -e system twice in a row.
61 >> Doing bootstrap.sh followed by 'emerge -e system' from a stage3 is the
62 >> same thing as doing bootstrap.sh followed by 'emerge -e system' from a
63 >> stage1...sorry to burst your bubble. So again, idiocy and FUD.
64 >
65 > If you actually downloaded a "pristine" stage1 or a stage3 tarball you might
66 > notice that there are, in fact, packages already present in world. Glibc,
67 > gettext, nano, gzip, and linux-headers.
68
69 Of course there are, but they are also part of system. Remember, a
70 stage3 is equivalent to having run bootstrap.sh followed by emerge
71 system from a stage1. This is how it has *always* been.
74 > Not that that matters one iota to
75 > this conversation, but you need to get your own facts straight before
76 > running around calling people idiots.
77
78 My facts are already straight, and you are still an idiot.
81 > The difference in doing from stage1 instead of stage3 is you don't have to
82 > go through a gcc migration to prevent your build from being unusable. You
83 > also go through 1 gcc upgrade (gcc 3.3.5 -> gcc 3.4.4), not 3 (3.3.5 ->
84 > 3.3.6 -> 3.4.4). We are talking reality here, not fantasy.
85
86 Your reality is fantasy.
89 -Steve
92 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list