From: Petre Rodan <petre.rodan@××××××××××××.com>
To: Mark Francis <mark@××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE flag 'daemontools' as an alternative to init.d
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:38:44
1 On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 05:00:37PM +1000, Mark Francis wrote:
2 > I have created bugs 28938, 28940, 28941, 28943 and 28945 to add daemontools
3 > support
4 > to the init scripts for samba, xinetd, fcron, cupsd and syslog-ng. Feel
5 > free to try
6 > it and see what you think.
7
8 Great idea.
9
10 > I discuss my approach in bug 28294. To summarise:
11 >
12 > 1. daemontools is not required but can optionally be used if available.
13 >
14 > 2. The daemontools service directory for each daemon is located in
15 > /var/daemontools
16
17 /var/service/ is already being used by sys-apps/supervise-scripts ...
20 > 3. This method has flexibility in that a user can choose to start each
21 > daemon in
22 > one of 3 different ways. The existing method (usually start-stop-daemon) in
23 > an init
24 > script, supervise from an init script, or svscan by creating a link to
25 > /var/daemontools/$name
26 > at /service/$name. Running supervise from the init script has the
27 > advantages of both
28 > init dependancy support and daemon monitoring.
29 >
30 > 4. No daemontools USE flag is required using this method.
31 >
32 > Mark
35 bye,
36 peter