From: Jack Morgan <jmorgan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Meeting of the ppc/ppc64 teams: Monday Aug 4, 2014 @20:00 UTC
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 03:47:16
1 On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 09:37:10AM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I'm email gentoo-dev@ because I'm trying to hit up as many devs as
5 > possible. Hopefully you've seen the recent discussions about what to do
6 > with ppc/ppc64 given the low manpower. Let's get interested people
7 > meeting in #gentoo-powerpc on Monday Aug 4, 2014 @20:00 UTC. If there
8 > are no objections, I'll chair the first meeting so here's the agenda so far:
9 >
10 > 1. Let's reconstitute the team and elect a lead.
11 >
12 > 2. How should we address the low manpower issue. At least two solutions
13 > have been proposed so far:
14 > a. Drop of many stable keywords to ~arch while retaining a core of
15 > stable packages
16 > b. Skip stabilization requests and let the KEYWORDS revert from
17 > stable to ~ by attrition.
18 >
19 > There may be other approaches. Both 2a and 2b have
20 > advantages/disadvantages and their technical problems.
21 >
22 > Anything else?
25 3. Supported hardare
26
27 We might want to reduce the number of systems/profiles we support. For
28 example, we could drop ppc32/32bit userland and just support
29 ppc64/{32|64}bit userland.
30
31 Here is list from the ppc handbook:
32
33 a) Apple NewWorld Machines: Power/PowerPC microprocessors (G3, G4, G5)
34 such as iMac, eMac, iBook PowerBook, Xserver, PowerMac
35 b) Apple OldWorld machines: Apple Machines with an Open Firmware
36 revision less than 3, such as the Beige G3s, PCI PowerMacs and PCI
37 PowerBooks. PCI-based Apple Clones should also be supported.
38 c) Genesi: Pegasos I/II, Open Desktop Workstation, Efika
39 d) IBM: RS/6000, iSeries, pSeries
42 4. Misc: List what needs to be done?
43
44 a) documentation: wiki, handbook, etc
45 b) ??
49 Thanks,
52 Jack Morgan
53 Pub 4096R/761D8E0A 2010-09-13 Jack Morgan <jmorgan@g.o>>
54 Fingerprint = DD42 EA48 D701 D520 C2CD 55BE BF53 C69B 761D 8E0A