From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Linux 2.6.x
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:39:48
1 On Tuesday 21 October 2003 5:58, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 21 October 2003 08:48, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
3 > > How must a package determine what kernel is system is using?
4 >
5 > it uses the /usr/src/linux symlink to determine running kernel ... if you
6 > always have that set to your running kernel, packages should handle it
7 > correctly (see nvidia-kernel for a good example)
8 > -mike
9
10 But why do we keep up with the obselete link? I won't go into the rants
11 against, as they are many and well documented, straight on back to the Head
12 Penguin. But if packages were handling it correctly, they wouldn't be using
13 the symlink to climb down to the includes. So we still have link climbing
14 even though we have the linux-headers package which is supposed to prevent
15 just that...
16 --
17 Chuck Brewer
18 Registered Linux User #284015