From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 17:02:07
1 On 8 May 2013 21:51, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 [...]
3 > Where upstreams ship systemd units, I don't think there is any issue.
4 > The problem is you are asking Gentoo maintainers to add unit files
5 > that upstream is not shipping. In this case we should test and
6 > maintain these ourselves, which is an additional burden for very
7 > little (if any) gain.
8
9 The burden is not on the package maintainers, but on the systemd team.
10 The perception of gain is entirely yours (and clearly biased).
11
12 >>> Mostly the complaints against adding systemd units are that it would
13 >>> unnecessarily clutter non-systemd installs. Users who complain are told
14 >>> to set INSTALL_MASK but that is somewhat unwieldy.
15 >>
16 >> Cluttering a system by just installing 4kb files? The council has
17 >> spoken. If you don't like the decision, I am sorry.
18 >> I can say the same for init scripts, they are freaking cluttering my
19 >> system and they're all over.
20 >> Or perhaps all these man pages, I don't need man pages locally but
21 >> still most ebuilds do install them. What do we do?
22 >>
23 >> Let's be serious here.
24 >
25 > You are forgetting that OpenRC is, and will remain for the foreseeable
26 > future, the default on Gentoo. Any systemd related files are
27 > completely useless for most of our users. And those of us who consider
28 > systemd a cancer do not want to see such files installed at all.
29
30 The overhead of the files' presence is trivial, and most users won't
31 care. Those who do care have a trivial line to add in make.conf, and
32 that is for the small number of people who share your vitriol for the
33 systemd project.
34
35 > Gentoo is about choice and configurability. This means we will
36 > accommodate both sides: so those who want to use an alternative init
37 > system can do so, and those who want to avoid it can also keep doing
38 > so.
39
40 This is a strawman. What Fabio is doing provides more choice, so fits
41 your "Gentoo is about choice" criterion. Making the people who wish to
42 provide this choice jump through hoops merely for personal dislike of
43 the project on the other hand violates this tenet that we all seem to
44 be so fond of.
45
46 -- Arun