From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flag how are they supposed to work?
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 02:13:15
1 Ok, so I think I understand where you are coming from...
2
3 Firstly, USE flags are not meant to have a specific purpose. Enabling
4 python support is non-specific as it doesn't describe how it is enabled
5 or what python support actually is.
6
7 Lets compare 2 packages to demonstrate...
8
9 subversion has a python use flag, this flag will install a subversion
10 api for python. so within python you an interact with subversion.
11
12 as another example.
13
14 vim also has a python use flag. this flag enables the ability to
15 execute python commands from within vim.
16
17 _But_ it is important to note that nowhere does the python use flag
18 attempt to distinguish between the 2 types of support. This is where I
19 believe you are getting stuck.
20
21 The reason for having non-specific use flags is otherwise we would have
22 hundreds of duplicate local use flags whose descriptions differ only
23 slightly. We are not attempting to document all the functionality of
24 each package. It is up to you to discover what packages you want to
25 have python support.
28 > The words is given different meaning depending on whatever I'm looking
29 > at the portage tree or working on configuring emerge. The portage trees
30 > global flag, is no indication whatever I should put the flag in USE=""
31 > in make.conf, in many cases a portage tree global flag is more an
32 > indication that I should use it locally pr. package.
35 well I would only agree with that if you correlate the global status of
36 a USE flag to the number of packages that use it and you are wanting to
37 only enable the bare minimum use flags for the pacakges that you require.
38
39 But anyway, in summary
40
41 If you want to find out what a packages USE flag does, it is better to
42 read the upstream documentation.
43 --
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list