From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: .la files removal news item (GLEP 42)
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 01:07:19
1 Il giorno sab, 02/10/2010 alle 00.42 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan ha scritto:
2 > Right, so a few weeks later when they re-merge a binpkg, they suddenly
3 > get build failures again. And that confuses them since it's
4 > unexpected. This is in general a bad experience for stable users who
5 > want to get work done, not baby-sit their system.
6
7 Seriously, how many times do you re-install packages out of binpkgs on a
8 _build_ system? I'll be honest: for me it's never. I reinstall them
9 often on a _production_ system, but there, I mostly have INSTALL_MASK
10 on .la files because _I don't build on those_. And in that situation,
11 there is no breakage to begin with.
12
13 > Having said that, I was informed off-list that this is not meant to be
14 > *the* solution for la file removal breakage, but merely an informative
15 > notice to raise awareness for the (oft-useful) hammer that is
16 > lafilefixer.
17
18 Which is going to cover their bases. *The* solution is to keep removing
19 (in ~arch) everything else, and get it merged back into stable with
20 time, which means that anything introduced _now_ should be stabled not
21 before Portage 2.1.9.x is stabled, or can be a security stable; in that
22 case users with lafilefixer set up will not even see it happening.
23
24 > I'm sorry, but I do not understand your hostility. Could you rephrase
25 > your objections with what I said in a way I can understand so that I
26 > can address them?
27
28 I'm pretty sure I did that before, otherwise you might ask Remi, as he
29 probably have more patience than me on the matter and is up-to-date with
30 the situation last I knew.
35 Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
36 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
37
38 If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
39 it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/