From: Peter Kadau <peter.kadau@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programs that depend on X libraries
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:02:10
1 hi !
2
3 > > I'd like to propose that programs should almost always install in /usr
4 > > rather than /usr/X11R6. My reasons follow:
5
6 > First of all, I want to enlighten people not used to BSD that there is
7 > another way. BSDs (at least NetBSD, think the others does this too)
8 > installes everything not in the base-system in it's own directory
9 > (/usr/pkg/ on NetBSD). This is a nice solution IMHO since it keeps /usr
10 > "clean".
11
12 imho, just put everything in /usr, unless you _want_
13 different versions/flavours of the same program
14
15 > > (3) Simplicity in the ebuilds. Consider the following scenarios:
16
17 > Yes, this is the reason I think is worse the most. I really don't like
18 > the install-in-different-paths-depending-on-whats-it-linked-against.
19 >
20 > This is the same with GNOME. Like XChat, if it's compiled
21
22 yep, and i'm thinking about cdrdao here.
23 i really would like to forget about the /opt -stuff,
24 but i assume it has to be retained since FHS says so.
25
26 > Regards,
27 > Mikael Hallendal
28
29 ciao
30 peter
31
33 Peter Kadau <peterdotkadauatwebdotde>
34
35 "Why program by hand in five days what you can
36 spend five years of your life automating ?"
39 Sie surfen im Internet statt im Meer? Selbst schuld!
40 Auf zum Strand: http://lastminute.de/?PP=1-0-100-105-1