From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 02:23:37
1 On 10 February 2016 at 14:12, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >> I'd personally rather the list of "automatically turn this on if
3 >> required" be something I had the power to restrict than have a blanket
4 >> "autodostuff", because in the event some USE can't be satisfied, the
5 >> first time that USE flag was deemed "Needed" I'd want to be told that
6 >> it was needed, and be prompted to chose a solution.
7 >
8 > Wouldn't this be analogous to putting every package you install in
9 > your world file?
12 The current situation with "USE" flags is more like having 80% of
13 portage unavailable due to package.mask/keywords, and where you have
14 to unmask every package you merely wish to *permit* to be installed,
15 either by doing it on a per-package level with package.unmask, or
16 doing it super-globally with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=
17
18 And but even this would be better than the USE situation, because
19 neither package.mask or the keywording tricks *Force* the package to
20 be installed, they merely *permit* the package to be installed, and
21 then depclean can also be relied upon to purge those packages if you
22 don't put them in your world file.
23
24 So in comparison:
25
26 /etc/portage/package.use is essentially "the world file but for useflags"
27
28 And we have no analogue of
29
30 /etc/porage/package.unmask or /etc/portage/package.keywords that
31 applies to useflags.
32
33 I can see how some people might want an analogue of "just install
34 dependencies if they're needed regardless if I said I need them" that
35 applies to useflags, but you'd probably want a "don't install this
36 even if it appeared to be needed" companion tool that behaves akin to
37 /etc/portage/package.mask
42 Kent
43
44 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL