From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:56:32
1 On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:55:03AM +0100, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
2 > 2010-03-19 10:39:07 Petteri Räty napisał(a):
3 > > On 19.3.2010 11.35, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
4 > >
5 > > >
6 > > > I can add "python2" USE flag (enabled by default) to some versions of
7 > > > dev-lang/python. With USE="-python2", Python 2 will not be required and
8 > > > Python 3 will be set as main active version of Python.
9 > > >
10 > >
11 > > You should move to the same scheme that ruby uses. Then users can just
12 > > disable the python_version_3 or whatever USE_EXPAND scheme is used.
13 >
14 > We are waiting on ABI dependencies (and extended support for multiple ABIs in
15 > package manager), which will provide some needed functionality.
16
17 You can do it now w/out waiting on ABI dependencies- I'm not saying
18 the dependencies would be pretty, but it's doable to get abi level
19 depdencies per slotting via expanding out the use combinations.
20
21 Note that's a step beyond what's in place now- converting over to the
22 ruby abuse of USE_EXPAND hands over better control to users now w/ the
23 same dep gurantees.
24
25 So... yeah, it's not reliant on EAPI. An EAPI extension *would* make
26 it easier, but it's not required to do it (especially since the deps
27 are already autogenerated to a decent degree).
28
29 ~harring