From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Textrels in packages policy
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:41:08
1 On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:20:29 +0000 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | the policy i consider a no-brainer, fix TEXTRELs
4
5 So... Say libfoo is a library that decodes files in the foo format. Say
6 also that libfoo-2.1 is currently marked stable, and does not contain
7 any TEXTRELs, but only supports foo files using the foo-1 format, which
8 is rapidly becoming obsolete. Then, if libfoo-2.2 comes along, and
9 introduces support for the rapidly becoming very widely used foo-2
10 format, should libfoo-2.2 be held back from being marked stable purely
11 because of a TEXTREL?
12
13 What about if, instead, libfoo-2.1 contains a security bug that is
14 fixed by libfoo-2.2?
15
16 What about if, instead, libfoo-2.1 has a nasty bug that will cause it
17 to lose data under certain circumstances?
18
19 See, any policy on TEXTRELs will have to be *very* carefully worded to
20 avoid having people think that they're something important... Otherwise
21 we'll end up with broken packages being left in stable simply because
22 newer versions contain TEXTRELs. Don't overhype the problem -- make it
23 clear that it's a "would be nice" issue, or else you'll encourage even
24 more superstition than we have already...
27 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
28 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
29 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm