From: flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?Q?Petten=C3=B2?=)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Remember: workarounds don't warrant RESO FIXED!
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:25:06
1 Guys, please remember that if you work something around, you should
2 _not_ close the bug as RESO FIXED but keep the bug open so that the
3 issue can be addressed and fixed _properly_. Otherwise we'll end up with
4 ebuilds full of workarounds without even documentation on why the
5 workaround is applied!
6
7 With workarounds I mean, as examples:
8
9 - FEATURES=test failures;
10 - broken parallel make that requires -j1;
11 - flags filtering, included -Wl,--no-as-needed appending
12
13 This is important because:
14
15 a) we want test to work or get fixed upstream;
16 b) we want users to get parallel build if they request parallel build;
17 c) we want --as-needed to be used, not ignored.
18
19 If the bug is open and comes out on searches and all the rest, then we
20 have higher chances that someone might _fix_ it, without having to look
21 to see if there actually is one...
22
23 Thanks!
26 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò