From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about XML files used in portage
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:22:43
1 On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 15:34 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > The meaning of the tag is to contain a full description of the package.
3 > The sense with longdescription is that it is allowed/encouraged to be a
4 > description that is substantially longer than approprate for the
5 > DESCRIPTION variable in the ebuild itself. It's purpose is mainly for
6 > things like packages.gentoo.org where there is place for a long
7 > description. Another advantage is that it allows for other language
8 > descriptions of a package (an English one must be provided).
9
10 I think the problem here was that longdescription was in an ebuild, but
11 was empty.
12
13 Also, packages.gentoo.org doesn't use this data, but rather just the
14 DESCRIPTION field in the ebuild, at least for the few that I checked
15 that have a longdescription in metadata.xml...
16
17 > > As far as I know, there are few *requirements* defined for metadata.xml
18 > > files. All we really have is the dtd to determine what is legal.
19 > > Anything beyond that really hasn't been discussed.
20 >
21 > We have a webpage:
22 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/index.xml
23 >
24 > Although the longdescription description is a bit vague. There is no
25 > specified format for longdescription, but as no subtags are allowed one
26 > could say it should be some kind of formatted text.
27 >
28 > > Perhaps now is the time to start such discussions?
29 >
30 > If it's used I agree.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead