From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 04:08:51
1 On 19 September 2012 03:18, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Readability is more important, and there I still don't buy the
4 >> argument that the new syntax is better, and that any gain would
5 >> outweigh the cost of changing. After all, the existing variables for
6 >> dependency specification won't disappear, so devs would have to
7 >> remember both.
8 >
9 > I agree it is a con, but is it a blocker? I mean basically any change
10 > proposed requires know the old way, and the new way..that is how
11 > changes work...
12
13 Which is why changes need to have clear benefits that outweigh the
14 costs of change. In this case the benefits are purely cosmetic, so
15 they don't. Change for change' sake is not worth the effort.
18 Cheers,
19
20 Ben | yngwin
21 Gentoo developer
22 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin