From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] "Trivial" commit reviews
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:51:41
1 Mike Doty (KingTaco) just told me I could stop sending reviews to -dev
2 that are just about adding quotes or other trivial issues that come up
3 over and over. I'm going to tell you why it's still a good thing.
4
5 First, where one problem lurks, others often do too. In code with such
6 simple problems, it's likely that more complex problems also exist.
7 Getting more eyes on problematic code of any sort can help find them.
8
9 Second, as we've already seen, no one developer is familiar with all the
10 code. Both Mike Frysinger and Daniel Drake have responded to some of my
11 reviews, pointing out further problems with the same code.
12
13 Third, by continuing to post these reviews, it should become obvious to
14 _all_ developers that they should be checking for them _before_
15 committing instead of waiting for a review.
16
17 Over time, the number of these simple reviews should go dramatically
18 down so it no longer bothers anyone to see them. If it doesn't, that
19 means some of our developers aren't learning or paying attention, and we
20 should take a closer look at whether they should remain developers.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Donnie
24 --