From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Two-level USE-flag system VAR: USE="minimal" for kernel sources
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:41:06
1 Jason Stubbs posted <200509231019.16895.jstubbs@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:19:14 +0900:
3
4 > On Friday 23 September 2005 05:28, Tom Fredrik Blenning Klaussen wrote:
5 >> Now as for the USE flag system. It has actually become so big that it's
6 >> difficult to use it effectively. I would actually suggest that a two
7 >> level system of USE flags could be employed. Something like
8 >> wtk/gtk (Windowing Toolkit / gtk)
9 >> wtk/kde (Windowing Toolkit / kde)
10 >
11 > This is just arbitrary grouping as far as USE flags themselves go. Rather
12 > than changing the name of the flags, why not just split the flags that are
13 > in use.desc into categories separated by comments?
14 >
15 > # some category
16 > use ...
17 > use ...
18 > ...
19 >
20 > # Windowing Toolkits
21 > gtk ...
22 > kde ...
23 >
24 > # some other category
25 > ...
26
27 The problem as I see it with comment-categories for USE flags is that it
28 doesn't well match how USE flags (and looking up USE flag descriptions)
29 are actually used.
30
31 TFBKlaussen's proposal would make it immediately obvious from an emerge
32 --verbose --ask (or --pretend) what category was involved. Commenting
33 use.desc (and use.local.desc) doesn't have that advantage.
34
35 Additionally, when I look up a description, it's usually by grepping
36 use.(local.)desc, and I suppose many others work similarly. I/we don't
37 care about all the /other descriptions, only the one we are wondering
38 about. Putting additional information in a comment line ?? lines above
39 the flag and description in question would /not/ be helpful. OTOH, using
40 a category/flag arrangement would be somewhat of a description of its own,
41 meaning the description could be shortened, and the line would be no
42 longer than it is currently. (With 80-char screen widths, this can be an
43 issue.)
44
45 OTOH, it's obviously yet /another/ thing for portage devs to work on, and
46 portage is /supposed/ to be in feature request freeze ATM... I like the
47 idea, but whether the benefits of putting it on the current feature list
48 outweigh the costs of putting it off, is something I'm not going to even
49 pretend I want to evaluate. =8^| If you portage devs believe it's easy
50 to "make it so", perhaps further discussion is warranted. If not, I'm
51 not in favor of putting off the next portage yet /again/ to make it
52 happen, tho it'd certainly be nice to have, so I'd say it's not even worth
53 further discussion ATM. JMHO...
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
59 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list