From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: calling all eclass phase functions by default
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 06:54:26
1 >>>>> On Sat, 16 Aug 2014, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > The initial proposal is to change this behaviour so that the PMS
4 > default phase functions call all matching phase functions from
5 > inherited eclasses in sequence.
6
7 > I strongly oppose this change, because I feel it will make our
8 > entire tree very unpredictable at best. [...]
9
10 +1
11
12 > My counter proposal to this is that we stop calling eclass phase
13 > functions automatically, and to minimize the amount of boilerplating
14 > we would have to do, we use a variable, such as ECLASS_PHASES which
15 > would be defined at the ebuild level and contain a list of the
16 > eclass phase functions we want to run automatically.
17
18 I'm strongly opposed against this proposal, too. Our current system
19 essentially works. Also, already now you can suppress automatic
20 calling of phase functions at the eclass level (by not exporting them)
21 and at the ebuild level (by defining explicit phase functions).
22
23 Ulrich