From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 19:09:31
1 On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 07:44:16PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:13:09 -0700 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > | > Paludis can read a Portage-generated VDB. Portage can't read a
5 > | > Paludis-generated VDB, because Paludis has more features.
6 > |
7 > | What features? You're tracking CONFIG_PROTECT_*, and saving a copy
8 > | of the eclass (icky solution, but we've discussed that in the past).
9 > |
10 > | Beyond that?
11 >
12 > Right now, the biggie is virtuals. Attempting to unmerge a virtual that
13 > was installed via Paludis will confuse the heck out of Portage. There's
14 > also the whole "handling symlink / directory mismatches" issue, which
15 > will cause Portage to incorrectly unmerge some Paludis-installed things
16 > (and, for that matter, some Portage-installed things).
17
18 Clarify on virtuals please. Unless you're mangling the data for
19 sym/dir, that's an unmerge time decision (as such it's not vdb data
20 specific).
23 > | > | - Paludis must work with all current ebuilds,
24 > | >
25 > | > Portage does not work with all current ebuilds.
26 > |
27 > | Name a few please, ones that are portage incompatibility rather then
28 > | "ebuild no longer works against other ebuilds in the tree". Can't do
29 > | anything about the latter, but the former without proof is fud.
30 >
31 > We went over this already. Remember webapp.eclass?
32
33 Nope. Assume I'm stupid, don't ask a question when I ask for an
34 answer, just state it please- saves both you and I time.
35
36 Do recall they were triggering merge -C calls on their own, but that's
37 not portage incompatibility as much as doing something dumb...
40 > | > | and support all features of portage.
41 > | >
42 > | > That's insane. Why should we support Portage-style 'candy' spinners?
43 > |
44 > | I'd expect he's talking more about stuff like having an ebuild
45 > | binary/script for walking the phases of an ebuild for development.
46 >
47 > Heh. You keep on picking out things that you think will be difficult to
48 > implement.
49
50 Ebuild is easy- I'm pointing at it because the local env issue should
51 rear it's head there. It's also a tool that ebuild devs rely on
52 fairly heavily for debugging, as such two birds one stone (locals
53 issue you get to investigate closer, and you flesh paludis out
54 further).
57 > | > | This includes recognition of EAPI
58 > | >
59 > | > Funnily enough, unlike Portage, Paludis has full EAPI handling.
60 > |
61 > | Please clarify on the "full"- since portage relies on EAPI protection
62 > | already, any issues you see with it's implementation I'd love to know.
63 >
64 > Portage still relies upon being able to source ebuilds, even if their
65 > EAPI isn't supported.
66
67 Paludis doesn't?
68
69 Related, doc this stuff out please. Portage differences doc you've
70 got is more "we're better cause of xyz"- which is fine, but a low
71 level "this is what we do differently" (metadata/security fex) would
72 at least allow the possibility of folks being on the same page.
75 > | Additionally, you went and commited the vars into paludis (doing
76 > | exactly what I said to do), thank you- lets avoid the 5 emails back
77 > | and forth in the future however please...
78 >
79 > Yes, we now have ~15 lines of useless code. But if that's what it takes
80 > to make you happy...
81
82 Makes that perl patch behave properly for security bug, so yes, it's
83 progress- thank you.
84
85 ~harring